Thursday, July 9, 2009

Faustina



WHAT I HAD: House Salad, Spinach stuffed chicken with roasted red bell peppers and feta, served over soft polenta, asparagus and a chorizo broth, Crème brûlée and Strawberry Sabayon

Address:
300 South 454 East, Salt Lake City

After trekking several blocks through downtown Salt Lake trying to find a nice outdoor eatery, we finally came across Faustina. They have a lovely covered patio with a tiny waterfall and crisp landscaping. A perfect setting for the wonderful 70 degree evening we wanted to continue to enjoy.

If you have ever done Dine O'Round, you will recognize the flat rate three-course menu Faustina offers. It makes it easy to order and I also didn't mind being obligated to have my own dessert.

The meal premiered with foccacia bread and oil and vinegar. Nothing out of the ordinary for an Italian restaurant. Then I had my house salad with these beet chips and a simple dressing. It was so light and delicious with a nice salty, crunchiness added by the beet chips. It was a perfect start.

I did have a difficult time ordering. The menu isn't too large and nothing really stood out to me. I am a picky eater (one reason why I could never be an effective restaurant critic) and there were quite a few dishes that had seafood, which I don't do, there were a few pasta dishes, but they just sounded too heavy for a summer dinner at the moment, the beef medallions with gorgonzola and mushrooms sounded really good, but ES was ordering that. I finally settled on the Spinach stuffed chicken with feta, roasted red pepper and a chorizo broth with the help of the waiter. I was very surprised at how good that was. I never order chicken at a restaurant. Besides the fact that the chicken came out in the shape of a fallacy, it was moist and flavorful. The sauce was complex with multiple flavors revealing themselves one by one.

There are two desserts that come with the three-course menu, crème brûlée or strawberry sabayon. Other desserts are offered, but with a small price ($3?) to upgrade. ES and I decided to just get one each of the first mentioned. I usually don't order crème brûlée at restaurants because I can just make that at home, but it was very good and even better that I didn't have to make it. The sabayon tasted like anyone could make it. It was just a bowl of berries with a little sauce on it. The sauce was super mild, and not too much flavor. So we hurried and ate that one so we could enjoy the crème brûlée even more.

I think this place had much more to offer than the outdoor patio that brought us there. We will definitely come back, even in the winter.


Addendum:
We've gone back for several more visits and I have managed to contain myself and not eat my meal before I take a picture. Here is a picture of what we were eating the first one is the one that I said was ahm..."shape[ed] of a fallacy".


Spinach stuffed chicken with feta, roasted red pepper and a chorizo broth

Beef medallions with gorgonzola and mushrooms

No comments:

Post a Comment